Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Talking about Learing Languages


1) The differences between Chinese and English are huge in their forms and pronunciation. The alphabet of English is from 26 letters. But in Chinese, there is no letter , we call that " character". Also in pronunciation, English depends on phonetics.


Chinese depends on Phonetic transcription. There are 4 different tones. If one letter has different tones , they will express different meanings.



When we express our idea, we don't have tenses, but we have some symbols of words such as yesterday, today, future and so on in the sentences, and we needn't care about the transference of verbs at the same time. On the other hand, the order of subject , verb and object is almost like English.



2) I suppose there are several reasons could explain why some people learn a second language more easily than others. Firstly, they have good skills on studying language and working hard. For example , they constantly looks for patterns in language, guessing words or practise as often as possible ..... The second one is environment. People who begin learning in childhood or live in a family who speak different languages are learning much easier than others.



3) I think "smart" for me to learning other languages is not the most important, diligentce is more important.



4) From my experience, translating is not useful, using dictionary when you see new words , pretending you understand, and making list of words when you are learning the second language. On contrary, watching lots of movies, TV shows,singing in English, reading book,speak out and willing make mistakes are much usefulness when we are learning second language.



5)Learning another language can change the personality of a person. Because we not only learned how to speak and write when we are learning second language, but also learned about the different culture. Taking me be an example, my second language is English, so my parents sent me to Canada to study English. It is an important turning point in my life. In here , I have to be speak out, have to be a vivacious person so that can make friends. Also, I have to be more independent because I stay away from my parents.



6) Learning English doesn't change my appreciation of my first language yet. But it might be because I staied here is not long enough. Actually, If I learn for a long time and speak English all the time , It will confuse me. So far, I just forget some words in my first language.



7) Learning English at CE LI can improve speaking , listening, reading and writing. But other English courses always just focus on one part, especially in Grammar.



8)The advice for other people who just start to study English at CE LI is doing everything what teachers ask to do. Do your best and never absent from the class. Anyway, I have a good experience here...





4 comments:

Truc Pham said...

Ni hao Ivy!!!

you are so creative when comparing your language to English! My language is similar to the way of pronouncing in your language! It is a big difference when we learning to speak English!:-S

Truc Pham said...

ah, I forgot to tell you. Your blog is so cute, everything is pink!:)

Tiffany said...

Anyway,congratulations!!!
you know what i said...

Yufi said...

You did all the questions about the learing language! GOOD~